Sunday, July 27, 2008

So Long Old Friend

Yesterday I said good-bye to an old friend. I was a little more emotional about it than I thought I would be. But, I guess after 13 years of deep, loyal, mostly reliable friendship, a little emotion is expected. For two years now I knew the day was coming when Penelope and I would have to part ways. There were times I resisted and other times when I was ready to throw in the towel and be done with it even though I knew the timing wasn't right. But, with a baby on the way in just 4 short weeks and a major life changing move looming just 5 months away, Daniel and I both agreed it was time to say fare thee well to my beloved Penelope. Penelope and I have been through a lot over the past 13 years. College, an almost 2 year separation while I lived in Hawaii, a move to Texas for grad school, multiple road trips, etc. We had a typical love/hate relationship. And now she is gone. I said my good-byes and watched as Penelope drove out of sight to bigger and greener pastures.

So long dear friend, so long.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That brought tears to my eyes. That must have been so hard...I hope Penelope is going to a great home where she can be spoiled rotten while you enjoy that sweet new baby.

Natalie said...

that is soooo sad!!! I felt the same about my car when I let her go after 8 years and 183,000 + miles!