Monday, June 23, 2008

Eat, Drink, Pee, No I.V.

That catchy mantra from the 3-day came back to haunt me this past weekend. I learned that if you are 30 weeks pregnant and you are unable to eat or drink due to GI issues you will find yourself in Labor and Delivery at your local hospital for some IV fluids. Thanks to what we think was some kind of GI bug, I found myself dehydrated and in need of some medical attention yesterday.

Thankfully after 5 hours at the hospital, almost three bags of IV fluid, a nice shot of phenergan, and some apple juice, the little one and I are on the mend. Our "active little critter" continued to live up to her name yesterday as the nurse chased her around trying to get her heartbeat. Just when the nurse thought she could position the monitor, our little peanut would start doing gymnastics and the nurse would have to look for her again. It was great to know that despite my feeling crummy for almost 5 days that the baby was just fine.

On a positive note, Labor and Delivery is no longer a "scary unknown" for me. Daniel and I figured out where we need to go for the real deal, where to park, how to find our way through the maze of hallways, what the rooms look like, etc. To top it off, I had a great nurse who took awesome care of me. Now the resident on duty....that is another thing, but we won't go there. Let's just say we are hoping he is nowhere to be found when I am in labor.

So, today I have been reliving my 60 mile walk and the thousand or so times I heard that ever catchy mantra....Eat, Drink, Pee, No IV!

7 comments:

Darla said...

Girl, I am praying for you!! What a crazy weekend. So thankful you and the little one are okay!! Much love, Darla

Liz said...

i'm so sorry you had to go through that but i'm so glad to hear you and the peanut are doing better! phenergan is a blessing straight from heaven above, isn't it? it's the Wonder Drug. =)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad everything is okay!! Sorry you had to go through that.

It seems my sister's baby girl is the same way - always movin' and a shakin'! I tell you now, we have a couple of dancers on our hands!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! That must have been so scary for you. Praise God that you are both fine and...um...rehydrated! :)
And I just have to laugh...if she is active now you are gonna have SO much fun when she is mobile! You will have no trouble staying slim!

S+S Kline said...

Oh Gloria! I too am so glad that you are ok after that episode! Yikes! How awful! I'm so glad that little Ella is doing so well though. Praying for you! Keep us posted!

ADB said...

So glad that you are feeling better!

Unknown said...

So glad to hear that you are doing better! Wow! 30 weeks--she'll be here before you know it!