Wednesday, June 13, 2007

60 Miles....Am I Crazy or What?

In October I will be participating in the Breast Cancer 3-Day. I will walk 60 miles over the course of 3 days. I will spend two nights sleeping in a pop-up tent, have the wonderful opportunity of using port-a-potties and a shower truck. Doesn't that sound like a ton of super-dee-duper fun? I know it will be! For a couple of years now I have wanted to be a part of this exciting event, but always found a reason not to participate. This year, I made no excuses and registered.

Why am I walking?

I am walking because my family has walked down the "breast cancer" road. Ten years ago my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. Until that time breast cancer was something that happened to other people. But in the blink of an eye it became a reality for my mom and for me. My mom underwent a single mastectomy and tram-flap reconstruction. Thankfully the surgery was successful and we just celebrated her 10 year anniversary of being cancer free on April 1st. For that reason I will walk. I am also walking for the number of women who I do not know who daily face the challenges of this disease called cancer. I am walking for my niece, my future children and grandchildren, so that they may never have to worry about breast cancer. I am walking for a cure.

Training has been hard and there are days when the last think I want to do when I come home is walk. But I walk anyway.

You can read more about the 3 Day at www.the3day.org and if you would like to support me in this adventure you may make a donation at http://www.the3day.org/dallas07/gloriacooley

Gotta keep walking!

No comments: