Saturday, January 13, 2007

Barefoot

I love being barefoot in the summer. As a child I would play outdoors for hours upon hours during the summer and rarely wore shoes, unless I was playing soccer or some other sport which required me to protect my little piggies! As an adult I still enjoy being barefoot. However, I really love being able to put on a soft, warm pair of socks. What does this have to do with anything? A lot!

Last Saturday I joined some of my friends at the Buckner warehouse where we sorted hundreds upon hundreds of pairs of socks that will soon be sent all over the world. These socks will then be given to orphans along with a pair of shoes. It doesn't sound like a glamorous job, sorting socks by size and gender, but it is a job full of blessings.

I have been lucky enough to be a part of the full Buckner experience. I have taken part in a shoe drive, helped at a collection site, sorted shoes, sorted socks, packed boxes, and had the amazing privilege of kneeling down before a precious child and carefully putting a new, clean pair of socks on their feet and a brand new pair of shoes. It is a humbling experience.

Here are a few pictures from our sock sorting Saturday!
Here are the ladies sorting the socks. Krista, Julie, Lauren, Teresa, Alana and Jennifer.
Krista adding more socks to the women 's sock box
Jennifer and Lauren just finished packing a box of women's socks!
Julie packing a box of girl's socks. Now what number was I on?
Socks, socks and more socks! Here are just a few of the boxes of socks we packed that morning.

No comments: