Tuesday, October 03, 2006

An Eschatological Perspective

Well as some of you know this school year will be my last … I hope at DTS. As this realization sets in I am experiencing a couple of somewhat divergent emotions: the satisfaction of completing a long and challenging task and the fear associated with not knowing what or where the next task will be.
The title in case you are wondering is sort of a double meaning. Eschatology refers to the study "last things" or "end times" in theology, and my thoughts are often focused on the end of this road at seminary. It seems that it is human nature to look for completion and finality in life, and I suppose graduation represents that sort of thing. I also see that the end is simply a new beginning with new uncertainties for Gloria and I. As I reflect on this I realize that the real final and completing event that I ought to always be yearning for is the blessed hope of the return of Christ (Tit 2:13). Only his return will bring the final completion that human nature is looking for and release from an uncertain world.

No comments: